Difference between Google, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter Ads

What are the key advantages & disadvantages of advertisement on Google, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter?

Great question Priyanka. It makes me think and let me try to put my inputs based on our understanding and experience of running ads on these 4 popular platforms at Digital Vidya:

• Size of Audience: As I check on SimilarWeb, I see following no of monthly visits on these platforms: Facebook (28 billion), Google (29 billion), LinkedIn (0.9 billion), Twitter (2.8 billion)

• Type of Audience: Google offers both search and display ads. Google Search Ads are likely to be most relevant as it validates that the person who has searched for keyword has an intent to know more information about that area. LinkedIn audience is more professional and great in B2B context. Facebook is hybird now; i.e. both professional & personal. However, level of targeting on Facebook can help you reach out to right audience. Twitter Ads have still not reached the stage of maturity and audience on Twitter is generally more evolved audience.

• Audience Behavior: I remember a great quote ‘Facebook is for people you knew, LinkedIn is for people you know and Twitter is for people you want to know’. Google unlike them is not a Social/Professional network (we are not referring to Google+ here as it still not offer Ads).

• Pricing: While Facebook is likely to be least expensive, LinkedIn is likely to be most expensive with a min of US$ 2 as Cost Per Click. Twitter Ads are also expensive. Google Ads would be little more expensive than Facebook Ads.

• Types of Ads: All of these platforms allow multiple types of ads and are ever evolving. Google allows both search & display ads including ads targeting gmail users based on context. Facebook offers even more variety of ads including recently launched Lead Ads, wherein a user doesn’t require to fill his/her details again. Twitter also offer ads similar to Facebook Lead Ads but it’s still too early to speak about its effectiveness. LinkedIn offers relevant lesser choices of ad types. Compared to Google, all other offer better targeting as all of them have details about their logged in users. However, Google search ads have biggest advantage as intent of the user is validated. All of these offer remarketing ads opportunity; i.e. ability to target people who’d visited your website earlier.

I think it’s worth writing an in-depth article on this amazing topic but I do hope that this answers gives you relevant insights about the key differences between these 4 advertising platforms.

Thank you so much Pradeep. When you write an article on the differences between Facebook, LinkedIn, Google and Twitter ads, please do share with us.